Monitoring Logs under Windows 2003 server

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 02:35:15 CET 2009

HI,
This is something I been wanting to add to NC_NEt for a while, but have not
had the time to implement.

I have not yet heard of one availible specifically for nagios on a Windows
Host.

Assuming the Log Files are just TEXT

your best bet is to write a program that parses through text logs using
regular expessions.
This can be done through VB Scripts.
The tricky thing with VBS, or Dot Net is it handles RegExp slightly
differently than compared to UNIX but there are a series of Settings one
could use to get desired results from the Regexp.

THe other tricky thing with  Windows is making sure you file opening for
Read Only , since opening them with RW access may cause their corrosponding
apps to fail getting the file handles to its own log file.

The last thing to consider is the order of the file,
If the Log file always appends to the end then try to itterate through the
file from the end moving twords the begining untill you hit your stopping
point,

This way you can exit the loop early.

Tony (author of NC_NEt)