Alert History seems empty

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Mon Mar 2 20:57:50 CET 2009

2009/3/2 Rahul Nabar <rpnabar at gmail.com>:
> If I try "View Alert History for this Service" I seem to get an error
> "No history information was found for this this service in the current
> log file"
>
> The file that it reports "File: /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log" is
> indeed correctly present. What else could be wrong? Does "Alert
> History" have to be explicitly enabled in some way?
>
> This is a simple "ping" service so it does have performance data.
>
> --
> Rahul

The history will normally only record anything if the ping check has
changed state (for example from OK to Warning).  If there's nothing in
the log for a particular day, it simply means it''s been pinging fine
all day (or if it's been critical all day long).

Nagios itself doesn't do anything with the performance data, but can
be configured to pass it on to flat files, a database or to a graph
for example PNP or nagiosgrapher.  I use (and recommend) PNP as it's
easy to install and use and seems to get better & better with every
new release.  http://www.pnp4nagios.org/pnp/start