monitoring external internet connectivity

Jayson Broughton jbroughton at truecos.com
Tue Jun 30 23:20:35 CEST 2009

I gotta 2nd Marc on that.  We did get permission from our ISP to ping their
network, as we are usually the first to know when one of our 28+ networks go
down in the country :-)  I too would get permission. Because if they don't
know who you are, some attentive little admin at xxxxx site might see your
possibly mis-configured nagios server as a DOS attack against their network
and block you.  Thus leaving you with a false response that your network is
down :-)  Or even if it's not mis-configured, having your server pinging
their server at regular intervals might seem abit off to someone that's
monitoring logs.

Jayson