Compliance: Re: Monitoring Web Sites

Chris Beattie cbeattie at geninfo.com
Tue Jun 30 15:44:52 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 10:25 +0100, craig at hooters-uk.com wrote:
> I'm looking to monitor a web site that is hosted on a
> server that has multiple sites, how would I go about
> monitoring multiple sites on one server?

The check_http command supports arguments for the host name, the host
address, and a URI.  The standard command definition includes $HOSTNAME$
and $HOSTADDRESS$, but that doesn't mean you can't roll your own.

I have a load balancer that a number of web sites need to be available
through, that itself does not have any services that need to be checked.
I set up a custom check command like this:

define command {
	command_name	check_lb_http
	command_line	check_http -H $ARG1$ -I $ARG2$ -u $ARG3$
}

In the load balancer's configuration, I have a dozen or so service
checks defined like this:

define service {
use standard_service
host_name prodapploadbalancer
service_description website1
check_command check_lb_http!virtualhostname!ipaddress!/somepage.html
}

--
-Chris