evenly spacing out service checks

Chris Hyzer mchyzer at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 26 14:04:01 CEST 2009

Hey,

I have a bunch of services on a bunch of hosts, and they overlap.  Some services I check every 5 minutes, some I check every 60 minutes.  I would like the ones which are 60 minutes to be spaced out by 60/7 minutes in the initial schedule.  But they arent, they are spaced out the same delay that the 5 minute ones are (several seconds).  If I change this setting in nagios.cfg:

service_inter_check_delay_method=s

Then all services have that delay, and some dont get scheduled for hours.

Here is an example of my configs (the first check is every 5 minutes, the second is every hour, for the same app on the same servers):

define service{
    use prodService
    normal_check_interval 5
    max_check_attempts      2
    service_description wiki productionShallow
    check_command check_fast_http! wiki webService=nagiosShallow
    contact_groups  wikiContacts
}
define service{
    use prodService
    normal_check_interval 60
    max_check_attempts      2
    service_description wiki productionComplete
    check_command check_fast_http! wiki webService=nagiosComplete
    contact_groups  wikiContacts
}
define servicegroup{
  servicegroup_name wiki production
  alias     wiki production
  members     server1,wiki productionShallow,server2,wiki productionShallow,server3,wiki productionShallow,server4,wiki productionShallow,server5,wiki productionShallow,server6,wiki productionShallow,server7,wiki productionShallow,server1,wiki productionComplete,server2,wiki productionComplete,server3,wiki productionComplete,server4,wiki productionComplete,server5,wiki productionComplete,server6,wiki productionComplete,server7,wiki productionComplete
}

I know eventually chaos will ensue, and the complete ones will be randomly distributed throughout the hour.  But I would like it to startout that way.  If I could add service_inter_check_delay_method to a service definition that would do the trick, but it gives an error when I try that.  Any way to do this?

Thanks,
Chris