Monitoring traffic on switch port viaNagios/Nagiosgrapher

Paul Weaver paul.weaver at bbc.co.uk
Fri Jun 26 09:58:14 CEST 2009

Our ciscos respond to the standard IF-MIB::ifSpeed oid (I think it's .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.5), we have a perl script wrapped around that which calculates traffic over a 20 second period, but you could use a temporary file to record the traffic if you were interested in a longer time. Be warned though, at 1gbit, a 32bit snmp counter could wrap around every 30 seconds -- once you look at measuring 10gibt you really need a switch and client that're capable of doing 64bit snmp counters.

The output is pumped into nagiosgrapher, with traffic out of the port multiplied by -1

The plugin might say something like
OK: Port "GigabitEthernet9/15" on 10.129.138.1 transferred 241211 bits/s in (0.02% utilisation) and 684 bits/s out (0% utilisation)

We only bother measuring the inter-switch ports