How often does Nagios need restarting? (Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?)

Angel L. Mateo amateo at um.es
Mon Jun 22 08:19:52 CEST 2009

El vie, 19-06-2009 a las 15:35 -0600, Kustner, Tom escribió:
> I am a Nagios user, not the administrator.  We are running Nagios 2.9 on
> RHEL 4 or 5.  Overall, 200+ hosts with 3000 services being monitored. I
> have access for monitoring a smaller number of hosts.
>
> In another posting, I alluded to an issue where a host had gone down but
> no alert was sent out.   The issue surfaced again today and as was done
> the other time, Nagios was restarted to "fix" the problem.   I am
> naturally concerned about the unreliability.

	Maybe the problem was a previous problematic restart. In our
installation, nagios (nagios3, but previously nagios 1) is working
smoothly. We don't have any problem like you, but sometimes when we
restart it to reload configuration (if we have added hosts or services).
Sometimes, the restart fails and we have several instances of nagios
running and appears a similar problem. Killing all nagios processes and
starting again fix the problem.

	We configure nagios with centreon and we don't know if this a problem
related with centreon or with a startup scripts (centreon uses them).

	But, if we don't reload nagios, it runs without problems.

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Telemática