Nagios Reboot Notification

Mat W lmw94002 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 18 23:15:49 CEST 2009

NagEventLog works with the Nagios NSCA server.  I use NagEventLog on all our windows servers for EventLog monitoring.  Works like a champ.

--
Mat W. - http://www.techadre.com

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:11:59 -0700
From: teckadmin at gmail.com
To: cschneemann at suse.de
CC: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Nagios Reboot Notification

So from the looks of it, this will only work with linux/unix boxes.  Is this accurate?  I did a bit of research on NSCA and I see a client-side configuration needed but I see it only for Linux.  I know there area few posts on this stating to use NSCA_Win32client.

Has anybody ran the NSCA_Win32client?  Successful?  I'm still looking for some documentation and setup instructions.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 4:32 AM, Christian Schneemann <cschneemann at suse.de> wrote:

Hi,
On Thursday June 11 2009 09:14:06 pm Kevin Mitnikc wrote:
> Hello everybody,

[...]

> How is everybody monitoring server reboots.  I've used Whats Up Gold in the
> past, and it would notify me right away.  There has to be a way to monitor
> reboots and get a notification of that reboot.  Many people have suggested
> I use scripts, but I don't know how to write scripts.
>
> Any help or direction would be much appreciated!
you could monitor it by passive checks with NSCA. Simply tell the nagios
server that the server is up in a regular time. And if someone triggers a
reboot tell the nagios server that this happened.
I assume you are asking for linux/unix servers? Then you could simply add
send_nsca call to the reboot/halt script (before network will be shut down ;)
and send a message to nagios, that the server reboots/shuts down.

Greetings,
       Christian

--
Christian Schneemann

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,
Maxfeldstr. 5, D - 90409 Nürnberg

Phone:  +49 (0)911 - 740 53 0
e-mail: cschneemann at suse.de
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex
HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)

Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web.  Try  Bing™ now
http://www.bing.com?form=MFEHPG&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MFEHPG_Core_tagline_try bing_1x1