Fwd: Re: Configuration files obfuscation

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jun 17 11:09:10 CEST 2009

edward baddouh wrote:
> Yes, I want the configuration files to be worse (readable).
> The idea is to difficult as-much-as-possible config-files theft from ohter
> people who admin that server..
>
> There have been times that configuration files were implemented on different
> installations (different sites) with minor changes without the admin's
> consent..
>
> I don't want nobody to get credits for work I've done and receive no profit
> at all..

This is just stupid imo and would be far better solved with some social
conventions. The problem is that there's a limited way of configuring
Nagios for a particular setup, so it's always entirely possible that
whoever you *think* is "stealing" configuration from you has actually
read the nagios docs for 15-30 minutes and then figured out how to do
it themselves. It's not exactly rocket science, and a nagios config
isn't a super-fast cryptographically secure hash algorithm that you
(sometimes) need to jealously protect. The fact that you're trying
makes me feel dirty all over, to be honest.

Why you want an opensource community help you *not* share your work,
I really do not fathom, but you'll get absolutely no help from me.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.