Nagios Reboot Notification

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jun 12 04:56:34 CEST 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 6:29 PM, Kevin Mitnikc wrote:

> Marc,
>
> I don't think this will work for me ...reason being Nagios will do
> its check, lets say every minute.  If the server reboots
> unexpectedly and comes up in between that check period, Nagios will
> never see the reboot.  I could be wrong, but is that not accurate?

Sure it will. uptime is a counter that increases from 0 to infinity
(essentially) and resets on reboot. The snmp check I use says that if
that counter is less than 50,000ms (~8.3 minutes), show a WARNING. If
you check every minute, you'd see a WARNING status for 7 or 8 minutes,
then a reset to OK.

> Other application will notify you as soon as the server shuts down
> or reboots.  Is this because its being monitored differently or
> different checks are being executed.

I have no idea. I presume that these applications are receiving traps
from the device (and it is configured to send them) or that it's
checking _very_ frequently. There's no magic 'some box just rebooted'
protocol...

>   As a Nagios newb, it seems that Nagios has cycles of running
> checks that the user defines.

Yes, it does.

> But I would like to try you suggestion.  Will I simply add the
> define command in the commands.cfg config file and then reference
> that with the check_command in the hosts.cfg file?

Yes. This presumes that you've configured SNMP on the target device
and set the read communities to match on both sides.

--
Marc