Nagios Reboot Notification

Kevin Mitnikc teckadmin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 21:14:06 CEST 2009

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the boards, so this topic might already be covered.  But I'm not
exactly sure how to fully search the boards.

Issue at hand:

I have successfully setup Nagios 3 on Ubuntu 8.10.  I have a few test
servers being monitored, but what I can't get working properly are when the
servers reboot.  I'm looking for a way to monitor when a server reboots or
has an unexpected shutdown.

I've tried the host-is-alive and also the ping, but the server comes up to
fast.  I've also tried just monitoring a service, such as the NSClient++ but
Nagios doesn't notify me right away once the server reboots.

How is everybody monitoring server reboots.  I've used Whats Up Gold in the
past, and it would notify me right away.  There has to be a way to monitor
reboots and get a notification of that reboot.  Many people have suggested I
use scripts, but I don't know how to write scripts.

Any help or direction would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Kevin M.