service dependencies not catching all

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jun 10 14:23:40 CEST 2009

Assaf Flatto wrote:
>> It's supposed to do that automatically. Can you provide the relevant
>> excerpts from the logfiles showing it hasn't done so?
> here is apart of the log for one of the servers :
>
> HOST ALERT: ftp.ssp-intl.com;DOWN;HARD;5;PING CRITICAL - Packet loss = 100%
> [1244607560] SERVICE ALERT: ftp.ssp-intl.com;Root disk space;CRITICAL;HARD;1;CHECK_NRPE: Socket
> timeout after 10 seconds.
> [1244607580] SERVICE ALERT: ftp.ssp-intl.com;User count;CRITICAL;HARD;1;CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout
> after 10 seconds.

No, it's not. This doesn't show that a notification went out, only that
a service went critical on a host that's been determined to be down.

>> It can't be, because then all PING services would depend on themselves
>> which Nagios doesn't allow.
>> The fact that some 26 million dependencies are missing seems to indicate
>> that you've added it to a configuration file that Nagios doesn't parse.
>
> The file is parsed since other dependency declarations in that file are loaded and present in the
> existing service dependencies.

In that case you haven't restarted Nagios since you added it, or those
other dependencies are loaded from somewhere else, or you're using a
patched version of Nagios which does something magical with your
asterisks, or you're using some config setting which fscks up the
config parsing somehow, or you're using the pre-cached config option
and aren't actually loading it from the *real* configuration.

That dependency simply is not valid in any version of Nagios, so you
*can't* be actually *using* it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.