nagios future?

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Wed Jun 10 11:41:38 CEST 2009

Andreas Ericsson wrote the following on 09.06.2009 19:03:

> Well, it'll be ambiguous even if one char is stripped from it, so just
> cutting the name at 30 chars might be worthwhile if we're on oracle.

Don't forget the table_prefix - current default is "nagios_" but I don't
know if this will change (I think it's a rather useless prefix unless
you have more different "collectors").
Naturally it's better taking "telling names" for tables, variables, and
so on. But everyone who has to program the source will hate it, so
shorter names with table description are more useful imho.

> Well, unless I'm mistaken IDO will have the same database layout as NDO,
> so it will still suck for performance, and writing good queries for it
> will still be a major headache. When the storage model of the algorithm
> algorithm is broken, tweaking it doesn't really help. Only a rewrite
> can save you then.
Yep I know what you are saying and if anyone over here would allow me to
do it I would. But my current task was/is maintaining the NDOUtils
Oracle and optimizing it (too much DB entries, housekeeper f*cked up,
only needed current states, no history) and after all finding a way to
merge the work done by David Schmidt into the NDOUtils master.
Looking at the ongoing process of kicking the NDO and using something
new doesn't really fit to my plans. But anyway currently Icinga fits the
most for our concerns because there are no ressources available to
create a new NDO or similar (I'd be happy only having this project and
nothing else like coding DNS tools ;-)

> It would be neat to see Merlin adapted to Oracle though, so if you're
> interested in working on that we'd sure help as much as we can.
I will share my knowledge meanwhile in Icinga GIT (when DB schema is
defined, and the code can be merged and optimized) for testing. So far
it is all the same with libdbi. A first howto on the libdbi driver for
Oracle can be found here - kind of tricky:

https://dev.icinga.org/issues/show/108

Some code optimzations for IDO have already been applied by Hendrik
(driver loaded successfully, fixed segfaulting and so on) so the
debugging is getting easier.

And even if I have to modify the libdbi itsself for the usage of
parameter bindings (which is heavily used for Oracle e.g.) Merlin could
also profit from that...

Kind Regards,
Michael

--