passive service check where display_name larger then 128 characters

Ton Voon ton.voon at opsera.com
Tue Jun 9 22:47:43 CEST 2009

Hi Paul,

On 9 Jun 2009, at 18:13, Paul Vaes wrote:

> The issue is that if I define a nagios service where the service
> description is larger than 128 characters, everything seem to work
> properly except that running a script which sends a passive service
> check via send_nsca the service in the Nagius gui is not updated
> although the send_nsca says it was successfully sent. Looking in the
> nagios log, I see that the passive check is arrived but that the
> service description is chopped at 128 chars.
>
> I wonder if anyone fixed this problem already? It looks to me that
> following line in include/common.h causes the issue
> #define MAX_DESCRIPTION_LENGTH    128
>
> I assume that I need to recompile nsca ( for the server ) and
> send_nsca ( for the client where I need to use a service description
> longer then 128). The problem is that as soon as I will use the new
> nsca binary on the server, I expect problems with all the servers
> which still are using the original send_ncsa.
>
> Anybody any idea's, suggestions or solutions.
>
> I am using the latest nsca and send_nsca 2.7.2
> nsca is running on SUSE 10.2
> send_nsca on different Unix and Linux falvours

Yes, we've spotted this too.

There is a limitation in NSCA where the hostname is 63 characters, the
service description is limited to 127 characters and the output is
limited to 511 bytes. The overall NSCA packet size is 716 bytes.

We've been looking into making this packet size variable while still
maintaining compatibility with existing send_nsca clients (we've done
something similar with NRPE: http://opsview-blog.opsera.com/dotorg/2008/08/enhancing-nrpe.html)
. Contact me off list if you are interested in sponsoring Opsera to
develop this functionality.

Ton