DNS down and false alerts...

Martin Melin mmelin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 18:27:43 CEST 2009

I don't know if I'm misreading the OP, but if the plugins start timing out
on only the boxes whose primary DNS is being rebooted, would adding a
caching DNS server to the Nagios box really make a difference?

I think the root cause to these timeouts is that the Nagios plugin timeout
is happening before the connection to the primary DNS on the target machine
has a chance to time out and then connect to the secondary DNS.

The correct course of action to resolve this would be to either make sure
that the DNS connection on the target machines fail quicker, or that
Nagios/the plugin waits longer for a result from the check. The DNS failover
is working as designed here but you're not giving it enough time to kick in.