nagios future?

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Tue Jun 9 17:25:24 CEST 2009

Andreas Ericsson wrote the following on 09.06.2009 16:33:

> It has? I'll have to take a look at that, I think. The hard part will
> be to separate the cruft from the code, so that only the real changes
> appear in a diff. Some simple sed magic will probably do the trick
> though.
Would be bad if it hasn't - as long as both projects are mainly
compatible they can profit from each other. GIT is really nice for that
but you should ask Hendrik instead how to deal with that :-)

https://git.icinga.org/index?p=icinga-core.git;a=summary
> I haven't actually thought about it. A quick glance reveals that the
> serviceescalation_contactgroup junction table is the one with the
> longest name, weighing in at 31 characters. That can be fixed quite
> easily though, since junction table names are determined by a function
> which can easily special-case this particular one.
Mh thanks for the tip I need to think about that in more deep.

> Since libdbi provides a database-agnostic api (it would be quite useless
> if it didn't), a simple thing such as loading the correct driver should
> suffice to make it work with Merlin as well. Which driver to use can be
> specified in the Merlin configuration file. However, there's currently
> no oracle driver for Kohana that I'm aware of, and that means Ninja
> won't be able to benefit from an Oracle database even if Merlin can
> write to it.
The thing which I am missing in libdbi-implementation is parameter
binding which really is a performance tweak with lots of queries with
different values. Another headache but maybe I'll hack that and send a
patch to the developers. Mostly it is important for Oracle meanwhile.

About Kohana - had a short look into the Database drivers. Oracle
support won't be that big problem to implement but that won't be me.
Hopefully it will be done because then Ninja and Merlin combined to
Nagios would be an option alternatively to Icinga with optimized IDO for
Oracle (which is my main task right now).

Kind regards,
Michael

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich