nagios monitoring for hack

Andrew Davis nccomp at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 15:30:24 CEST 2009

I'd look into the various hardening and monitoring tools available
(Bastille, Tripwire, chroot, etc). There's different tools for different
purposes, obviously. We chroot all our BIND and Apache stuff. Bastille
is great for hardening the environment. Tripwire monitors for changes to
key files. Each program has its own logging mechanisms. So once you have
your tool in place, you can use Nagios to watch the log file(s) and
generate alerts based on keywords (ALERT, WARN, CRIT, etc). You can also
dump your logs to an alternate server and have Nagios watch them from
there, but in the case of DDoS attack, your bandwidth may be affected
for remote syslog and/or Nagios network checks.

  A. Davis
  Email:     nccomp at gmail.com

  "There is no limit to what a man can accomplish
   if he doesn't care who gets the credit." - Ronald Reagan