nagios future?

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Tue Jun 9 13:15:18 CEST 2009

Hi,

Andreas Ericsson wrote the following on 09.06.2009 11:10:
> Yes. It was discussed quite a lot some few weeks back on the
> nagios-devel mailing list. Browse the archives for the full
> discussion.

try
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=E03A84B43BAE443888372020DDBFE0E7%40int.consol.de

If you're interested in reading a bit more, try

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=icinga-users
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=icinga-devel

> The future of Nagios is looking quite bright. In all honesty, that is
> in part thanks to the Icinga fork, which has sparked a flurry of activity
> within the Nagios developer community.

And also popping up many community based sites, beside the existing
ones. Not that bad, but a bit misleading for new users imho. But let's
see how it resolves in a bit.
Hopefully Nagios will be on GIT soon to merge knowledge from both
projects together. Dunno what plans are going on concerning the NDO and
other similar core parts but I think there's much potential to share
ideas and kniowledge between Nagios and Icinga.
> First of all, we'll be releasing 3.1.1 soon, containing a plethora of
> bug- and performance fixes. Ethan's working on automating the release
> process so that Ton and I can cut releases without having to update a
> bunch of webpages, sourceforge downloads area, documentation, etc, etc.
> 3.1.1 will be the first live test of that automated process. If it drags
> out another week or so though, we'll probably just go ahead and do it
> manually anyway, as 3.1.1 really has a lot of important fixes that the
> Nagios users really should get their hands on.

It would be great to mention that all even releases are stable while odd
remains testing. On nagios.org 3.1.0 is only mentioned as "latest
version" and after clicking the download link it is marked as testing -
bit confusing, but not really a problem for experienced users.
> Nagios will get a new GUI, dubbed "Ninja" sometime during or after the
> summer. Ninja is available for download already and is "usable but has
> some warts and is still incomplete" according to Ninja maintainer Per
> Åsberg. You can find out more about it at
> http://www.op5.org/community/projects/ninja. This was announced at the
> Nordic Meet on Nagios which was held in Stockholm just last week. Note
> that it's not necessarily easy to install yet as it's still a work in
> progress. Bug-reports or enhancement requests are ofcourse very welcome,
> and documentation patches for the installation procedures even more so.

By announcing Ninja as new GUI, the rumors get into Merlin for DB usage.
I've read several posts about that but my question is, how far would
that be realistic? For what I know Merlin uses the libdbi (just as
modified IDOUtils for Icinga) so it would be possible to use different
db types. Are there any plans to realize that? :-)

Kind regards,
Michael

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich