Undetected flapping URL monitor - how to fix?

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 15:33:35 CEST 2009

We ran into a situation over the weekend where a particular URL
monitor was flapping back and forth between OK and CRITICAL every ten
minutes or so.  We have it set up so the monitor only goes into a HARD
state and sends an alert after three successive failures.  The issue
is that there was a real, legitimate problem with the configuration
that was causing it to flop around like this, but nobody got alerted
because it never went into HARD state.

How would you handle this situation?  We need to be notified when
these kinds of situations arise in the future.