Host dependencies not being picked up...

Zack Colgan zcolgan at clearbearing.com
Mon Jun 1 21:02:51 CEST 2009

Andrew Davis wrote:
> The bulk of my systems are behind one of three switches. I just went
> through my hosts.cfg file and added the "parents" line and appropriate
> switch name for each, but the host dependencies aren't showing up. I do
> use a host template for most of the servers and then other specifics.
> Below is a sample of what's defined. Initially I thought the issue was
> the Nagios server being in the same switch as one of the switches, but
> the last entry below shows a switch defined as a parent and the Nagios
> server is not behind the switch (Nagios is behind flscrb234srvsw5, the
> last host is behind flscrb234srvsw6). The VLAN is the same for all the
> hosts in the three switches... all hosts operate on 10.1.1.x/16 or
> 10.1.80.x/16 which is all a single VLAN. I'd appreciate any thoughts on
> why it might not be working:
>
> *snip*
>
> define host {
>         host_name               flscrb234srvsw5
>         use                     Network-Switches
>         alias                   4948-5 - B234
>         address                 10.100.0.45
> }
>
> define host {
>         host_name               flscrb234srvsw6
>         use                     Network-Switches
>         alias                   4948-6 - B234
>         address                 10.100.0.46
> }
> *snip*
>
> define host {
>         host_name               aten
>         use                     Linux-Servers
>         alias                   Aten (SLES)
>         address                 10.1.80.3
>         parents                 flscrb234srvsw5
> }
> define host {
>         host_name               delos
>         use                     Linux-Servers
>         alias                   Delos (CentOS)
>         address                 10.1.1.93
>         parents                 flscrb234srvsw6
> }
>

> Reading configuration data...
>
> Running pre-flight check on configuration data...
>
> *snip*
>
> *Checking host dependencies...
>     Checked 0 host dependencies.*

Host dependencies are not generated with the use of the parents
directive.  Specifying parents allows you to create a topology for the
status map, and also to allow Nagios to detect a host as being
UNREACHABLE versus DOWN, if they are a child of another host.  If you
want host (or service) dependencies, you must create dependency objects:
 http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/dependencies.html

-Zack