Host dependencies not being picked up...

Andrew Davis nccomp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 20:46:05 CEST 2009

The bulk of my systems are behind one of three switches. I just went
through my hosts.cfg file and added the "parents" line and appropriate
switch name for each, but the host dependencies aren't showing up. I do
use a host template for most of the servers and then other specifics.
Below is a sample of what's defined. Initially I thought the issue was
the Nagios server being in the same switch as one of the switches, but
the last entry below shows a switch defined as a parent and the Nagios
server is not behind the switch (Nagios is behind flscrb234srvsw5, the
last host is behind flscrb234srvsw6). The VLAN is the same for all the
hosts in the three switches... all hosts operate on 10.1.1.x/16 or
10.1.80.x/16 which is all a single VLAN. I'd appreciate any thoughts on
why it might not be working:

# -- Network Switches
define host {
        name                    Network-Switches
        register                0

        hostgroups              network-switches
        check_command           check-host-alive
        icon_image              cisco.jpg
        icon_image_alt          Cisco Device
        max_check_attempts      3
        check_period            24x7
        contact_groups          networkadmins
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d, u, r, f, s
}

define host {
        host_name               flscrb234srvsw5
        use                     Network-Switches
        alias                   4948-5 - B234
        address                 10.100.0.45
}

define host {
        host_name               flscrb234srvsw6
        use                     Network-Switches
        alias                   4948-6 - B234
        address                 10.100.0.46
}
##### Linux Hosts #####
# -- Linux host
define host {
        name                    Linux-Servers
        register                0

        hostgroups              linux-servers
        check_command           check-host-alive
        icon_image              tux.png
        icon_image_alt          Linux Server
        max_check_attempts      3
        check_period            24x7
        contact_groups          unixadmins
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d, u, r, f, s
}

define host {
        host_name               aten
        use                     Linux-Servers
        alias                   Aten (SLES)
        address                 10.1.80.3
        parents                 flscrb234srvsw5
}
define host {
        host_name               delos
        use                     Linux-Servers
        alias                   Delos (CentOS)
        address                 10.1.1.93
        parents                 flscrb234srvsw6
}

Reading configuration data...

Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking services...
    Checked 673 services.
Checking hosts...
    Checked 168 hosts.
Checking host groups...
    Checked 23 host groups.
Checking service groups...
    Checked 36 service groups.
Checking contacts...
    Checked 9 contacts.
Checking contact groups...
    Checked 12 contact groups.
Checking service escalations...
    Checked 0 service escalations.
Checking service dependencies...
    Checked 30 service dependencies.
Checking host escalations...
    Checked 0 host escalations.
*Checking host dependencies...
    Checked 0 host dependencies.*
Checking commands...
    Checked 58 commands.
Checking time periods...
    Checked 5 time periods.
Checking for circular paths between hosts...
Checking for circular host and service dependencies...
Checking global event handlers...
Checking obsessive compulsive processor commands...
Checking misc settings...

Total Warnings: 0
Total Errors:   0

Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the
pre-flight check

--

  A. Davis
  Email:     nccomp at gmail.com

  "There is no limit to what a man can accomplish
   if he doesn't care who gets the credit." - Ronald Reagan