newbie question...

Arnar Þórarinsson art at flugstodir.is
Mon Jun 1 10:09:22 CEST 2009

So there is no way of getting just the host down alert when a host goes
down ?

To explain a little, lets say I'm monitoring CPU, memory and disk space on
a host.
The host goes down and Nagios sends an alert by email for the host down
event and
also for the CPU, memory and disk space events.  All I need to know about
this event is that the host is down.
Just think that it's not neccessary to send an alert email about services
on a host that is down.

/Arnar

Marc Powell <marc at ena.com>
05/31/2009 03:53 PM

Nick Hasser <nick.hasser at gmail.com>
cc
nagios-user Mailinglist <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject
Re: [Nagios-users] newbie question...

On May 31, 2009, at 10:09 AM, Nick Hasser wrote:

> I haven't had a situation like this yet, so this is more a theoretical
> question, but how do you monitor services which are provided by
> redundant servers with failover (i.e. services are still up when a
> particular physical server is down)?

Using the check_cluster plugin is most common. You monitor the
individual machines and services and check_cluster reflects the
overall state of the service being monitored.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/clusters.html

--
Marc

is a gathering of tech-side developers & brand creativity professionals.
Meet
iPhoneDevCamp as they present alongside digital heavyweights like
Barbarian
reporting any issue.

Thessi tolvupostur og vidhengi hans geta innihaldid trunadarupplysingar
og er eingongu aetladur theim sem hann er stiladur a.
Oheimil medferd tolvuposts thessa og vidhengja hans getur vardad
skadabota- og refsiabyrgd samkvaemt logum um fjarskipti. Efni
tolvupostsins og vidhengja er a abyrgd sendanda ef thad tengist
ekki starfsemi Flugstoda ohf. Ef Thu ert ekki skradur mottakandi og
hefur fengid skeytid vegna mistaka, vinsamlegast hafdu strax samband vid
sendanda.
This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.