Service Check Dependency

Mirza Dedic mirde at oppy.com
Thu Jul 30 23:00:22 CEST 2009

Hello,

I am checking my nagios configuration and wanting to implement check dependency, so that I can silence some of the many alerts we get. Could someone help me better understand the service dependency check method..

My service dependency below.. I want all the services on VAN-SQL01 to depend on the "Ping" check, if PING fails, I do not want to know about any of the other services because they would obviously fail too if the host is down. Based on the configuration below, will I be able to achieve this?

Below, it should suspend any Warning, Unknown, Critical messages from the dependant_service_descrption list, if Ping fails on van-sql01?

Can someone please confirm this; any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

define servicedependency{
        host_name                       van-sql01
        service_description             Ping
        dependent_host_name             van-sql01
        dependent_service_description   NSClient Version, Uptime, C - Disk Space, D - Disk Space, CPU Over 25min, Memory, CA ArcServe, Diskeeper, Microsoft IIS, SQL01 - Services, SQL01 - Processes, SQL01 Port TCP Check, SQL01 SQL User Connections, SQL01 Deadlocks per Sec, SQL01 Log Hit Ratio, DB Size: asdb, DB Log: asdb, DB Online: asdb, DB Size: BEDB, DB Log: BEDB, DB Online: BEDB, DB Size: BESMgmt, DB Log: BESMgmt, DB Online: BESMgmt, DB Size: BOE11, DB Log: BOE11, DB Online: BOE11, DB Size: CHAIN_STORE_GUIDE, DB Log: CHAIN_STORE_GUIDE, DB Online: CHAIN_STORE_GUIDE, DB Size: ePO4_VAN-MONITOR, DB Log: ePO4_VAN-MONITOR, DB Online: ePO4_VAN-MONITOR, DB Size: FRESHLOOK_DW, DB Log: FRESHLOOK_DW, DB Online: FRESHLOOK_DW, DB Size: OPPY_AD_TRACKING, DB Log: OPPY_AD_TRACKING, DB Online: OPPY_AD_T
 RACKING, DB Size: SharePoint_AdminContent, DB Log: SharePoint_AdminContent, DB Online: SharePoint_AdminContent, DB Size: SMS_o01, DB Log: SMS_o01, DB Online: SMS_o01, DB Size: Sp-OPPY-SharedServices_Search_DB, DB Log: Sp-OPPY-SharedServices_Search_DB, DB Online: Sp-OPPY-SharedServices_Search_DB, DB Size: SP-OPPY-SharePoint_Config, DB Log: SP-OPPY-SharePoint_Config, DB Online: SP-OPPY-SharePoint_Config, DB Size: SP-OPPY-WSS_Content, DB Log: SP-OPPY-WSS_Content, DB Online: SP-OPPY-WSS_Content, DB Size: SP-OPPY-WSS_Search_VAN-SHAREPOINT, DB Log: SP-OPPY-WSS_Search_VAN-SHAREPOINT, DB Online: SP-OPPY-WSS_Search_VAN-SHAREPOINT, DB Size: SSO, DB Log: SSO, DB Online: SSO, DB Size: Surround SCM, DB Log: Surround SCM, DB Online: Surround SCM, DB Size: SUSDB, DB Log: SUSDB, DB Online: SUSDB, DB Siz
 e: WSS_Content_mysite.oppy.com, DB Log: WSS_Content_mysite.oppy.com, DB Online: WSS_Content_mysite.oppy.com, DB Size: WSS_search.oppy.com_Content, DB Log: WSS_search.oppy.com_Content, DB Online: WSS_search.oppy.com_Content, DB Size: WSS_sharepoint.oppy.com_Content, DB Log: WSS_sharepoint.oppy.com_Content, DB Online: WSS_sharepoint.oppy.com_Content, DB Size: DB: OPPY_CAT_ANALYSIS_DW, DB Log: DB: OPPY_CAT_ANALYSIS_DW, DB Online: DB: OPPY_CAT_ANALYSIS_DW
        execution_failure_criteria      w,u,c
        notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c
}