nrpe won't connect - contradictory messages in log

Whit Blauvelt whit+nagios at transpect.com
Wed Jul 29 22:21:37 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 05:24:07PM +0200, André PELLÉ wrote:

> Have you tryed to disable the ssl on the client side?
> If not, try and see what kind of message you get.

Good idea André. I hadn't known the client might require being started with
SSL switched off.

It produces the same result though. On the daemon side:

  root at system1:/opt/nagios/plugins# ./check_nrpe -n -H 192.168.250.2 -c check_swap
  CHECK_NRPE: Error receiving data from daemon.

And the client side:

  syslog:Jul 29 16:03:50 system2 nrpe[14063]: Allowing connections from: 127.0.0.1, 192.168.250.1
  syslog:Jul 29 16:04:22 system2 nrpe[14100]: Host 192.168.250.1 is not allowed to talk to us!

So I know this much: NRPE is talking between the two - enough to for the
client side to decide it shouldn't. And SSL is not the cause of the failure.

Maybe the available workaround is to skip the host restriction at NRPE's
level, and just handle security through iptables. Yeah, on initial testing
it looks like that will work. The bug I'm hitting is specific to
"allowed_hosts" being set.

Whit