nrpe won't connect - contradictory messages in log

Richard Remington rremington at messagevision.com
Wed Jul 29 19:51:07 CEST 2009

Dear Whit,

I have actually seen this contradictory error in the log before but in my case I was in a new location installing new versions of NRPE (along with Nagios 3.0.6) and while the existing NRPE on the host claimed to be the same version as the one I was using on the Nagios host, there was still some sort of inherent incompatibility. In my case I was guessing that my predecessor had taken some liberties with the source code. I had the luxury of having another existing NRPE client that was working and so I copied the nrpe binary from the working NRPE client over to the non-working NRPE client and then they both worked, and unfortunately, I never got to the bottom of it.

Richard