Is a null username possible with check_http

Jim McNamara jim at packetalk.net
Wed Jul 29 18:46:37 CEST 2009

I posted this question to the nagiosplugins-help list last Wednesday but
received no answers. I hope I receive some insight from this list!

I'm running nagios 3.0.6 with plugins 1.4.13 both compiled from source
on a debian machine. We recently added dataprobe iboot remote power
switches to my network. They have basic web authentication, but the
authentication only uses a password, not a username. I tried several
different things with the -a modifier to check_http, and all failed to
get an OK result from the plugin. Among the tests were -

-a \n:PASS
-a \r:PASS
-a *:PASS
-a :PASS
-a garbage:PASS

All of the tests lead to a 401 error, as shown in this verbose output -

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_http -I 192.168.1.254 -a \n:PASS -v
GET / HTTP/1.0
Connection: close
Authorization: Basic bjpyZWJvb3Q=

http://192.168.1.254:80/ is 97 characters
STATUS: HTTP/1.0 401 Not Authorized
**** HEADER ****
WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="iBoot"
**** CONTENT ****
HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.0 401 Not Authorized

Is there some way to pass an empty or null username to this device? When
authenticating as a human through a browser, leaving the username empty
and the default password of PASS lets you in. Thanks for any
suggestions!