Nagios SNMP Plugin

Richard Remington rremington at messagevision.com
Wed Jul 29 00:51:40 CEST 2009

Peter,

This isn't exactly an easy example because it incorporates the check_multi plug-in, but you should be able to get the idea.
My service check definition calls check_multi...

define service {; Check T1 OperStatus on Cisco 5300's
        service_description     DS0 OperStatus
        check_command           check_multi!$USER8$/multi/check_multi_snmp_cpmDS0OperStatus.cmd!$USER1$!15
        host_name               nagios-host
        flap_detection_enabled  0; Flap detection is disabled due to check_multi use.
        notes                   SNMP OID: iso.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.19.1.5.2.1.1.0.x.x<BR> cpmDS0OperStatus<BR> (T1(DS0) Operational Status on Cisco 5300)<BR> 1:un    known, 2:down, 3:idle, 4:setup, 5:connected, 6:test
        use                     services-template
}

which is defined as follows in my check_multi_snmp_xxxx.cmd file...

command[ OperStatus_slot_0_channel_1 ] = check_snmp -H 192.168.xx.xxx -m CISCO-POP-MGMT-MIB -P 2c -C public -o cpmDS0OperStatus.0.0.1 -R '3|4|5'

But likely the part that matters most to you is the check_snmp string...
check_snmp -H 192.168.xx.xxx -m CISCO-POP-MGMT-MIB -P 2c -C public -o cpmDS0OperStatus.0.0.1 -R '3|4|5'

which you could add to your own command definition. The use of the -m switch with the MIB definition is not essential. You could get it to work with just an OID. check_snmp actually calls another application in the SNMP suite, snmpget, I think, and relies on MIB files typically found in /usr/share/snmp/mibs or similar location.

I hope this helps.
Richard Remington
Unix Systems Adminstrator