passive checks and host down alerts

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jul 24 17:15:44 CEST 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 8:32 AM, Terry wrote:

> As you can see here, I have active checks disabled.  However, in the
> web interface, it is showing active checks as enabled.
>
> 1. why?

Someone enabled them through the GUI and the status is possibly being
retained (see the documentation about Retention) _or_ you have
multiple nagios daemons running, one with an old config with it
enabled and one with a new config with it disabled.

> 2. If I have a host that has 5 active check services and 1 passive
> check service and all 5 of the active services goes down, will it
> consider the host down and suppress those notifications and only send
> the host down alert?

Only if you have a working host check_command. Active/passive services
or number of services down makes no difference at all. When any
service on a host fails, the host's check_command is run. If that
returns a non-OK result, notifications for services on the host are
suppressed until the host recovers and a single host notification is
sent (if specified). If it returns an OK result (or isn't specified),
notifications are not suppressed for services on that host.

--
Marc