Notification oddity

Kevin Davison kdavison at innosphere.ca
Thu Jul 23 22:11:13 CEST 2009

I've just started a new job and naturally Nagios was the first order of
business. Having lived with Nagios for over 4 years I felt naked without it.
I have Nagios 3 up and running on an openSUSE 11.1 Virtual Machine with
postfix relaying through an onsite SMTP server. Everything has been working
perfectly for the last week and I found a lot of interesting stuff about my
new home.  Suddenly I stopped receiving Warning notifications this morning.
Nagios emailed me one Warning notification this morning around midnight but
since then I've only been receiving Critical notifications and Recoveryies.
Nagios' Notifications log file shows no entries since midnight, even though
I've received several Critical notifications.  The Event Log shows all of
the events that have occurred over today and I have received a couple of
Host Down notifications when I took something down but clicking on the
Notifications link shows no entries since that last one at midnight. I can't
figure out why some Events are occurring and not being sent to me and even
more of a mystery is why some Events are occurring and being sent to me, but
the Notifications log shows no new entries.

I've checked my Contacts, as well as my Host and Service notifications
entries and all are configured W,U,C,R for 24x7. I've even done some work on
Nagios today and restarted to load in some new stuff, but I'm still not
seeing anything other than Critical notifications.

Clearly I'm missing something. I would appreciate any advice.

Kevin Davison

Network Administrator

Innosphere SDG Ltd.

147 Wyndham St. N., Ste 306