canon printers

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Thu Jul 23 17:58:15 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:35 AM, SYS ADMIN<SYSADMIN at cmda.org> wrote:
> I have managed to monitor all my HP Laserjet printers using check_hpjd.
> I have several networked Canon copier/printers on my LAN, and can't seem
> to get any response back from them, although snmp is installed, and I
> try check_snmp.
> Does anyone have any experience/idea what to do?
> I can't seem to even find OIDs for Canons.

Make sure you are using the correct SNMP community string .. if you
use an incorrect community string with an SNMP agent, you will not get
an error back from the agent, just a timeout.

Did you check the vendor's web site for MIBs?  That is my first step
when I am asked to monitor a device for which I have no local MIBs to
look at.

Once you have a valid community string, you can do an SNMP walk on the
device to see what OIDs it supports .. e.g. with the Net-SNMP CLI
utilities

snmpwalk -v <snmp version, typically '2c'> -c <community string>
<agent address, e.g. '192.168.3.141'> 1.3.6.1

that will walk the entire OID tree of the agent.  Some agents won't
walk the enterprise OID tree with that, so you might have to do a
separate walk to get the enterprise OID tree output from the agent

snmpwalk -v <snmp version, typically '2c'> -c <community string>
192.168.3.1 1.3.6.1.4.1

Other good resources to search for MIBs are the obvious one (Google)
or mibdepot.com

- Max