plugin for collisions on host

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jul 23 14:01:00 CEST 2009

On Jul 23, 2009, at 4:05 AM, Tom Brown wrote:

> any way we can monitor for collisions and errors on host interfaces
> rather than doing this on the switch?

Errors, I would say yes; collisions, maybe.

ifInErrors and ifOutErrors is pretty standard SNMP. If you install an
snmp daemon on the hosts, you should be able to query those with the
same plugin you're using for the routers. Here's an example of a few
snmp walks --

$ snmpwalk -v2c -c <community> prodlnx01 ifdescr
IF-MIB::ifDescr.1 = STRING: lo
IF-MIB::ifDescr.2 = STRING: eth0
IF-MIB::ifDescr.3 = STRING: eth1

$ snmpwalk -v2c -c <community> prodlnx01 ifinerrors
IF-MIB::ifInErrors.1 = Counter32: 0
IF-MIB::ifInErrors.2 = Counter32: 0
IF-MIB::ifInErrors.3 = Counter32: 0

$ snmpwalk -v2c -c <community> prodlnx01 ifouterrors
IF-MIB::ifOutErrors.1 = Counter32: 0
IF-MIB::ifOutErrors.2 = Counter32: 0
IF-MIB::ifOutErrors.3 = Counter32: 0

As far as collisions, a quick grep of snmpwalk output of the entire
tree doesn't show anything that looks like collisions being reported.
It might use a different name so all I can really say on that on is
TAFO.

--
Marc