recognizing string from HTTP checks?

Ray Kiddy ray at ganymede.org
Fri Jul 17 22:40:53 CEST 2009

Sorry if this is a newbie question. I am running Nagios 3.0.6 on a
Centos Linux system. It is working, but I am having a difficulty in
getting it to recognize response from a HTTP service request.

I have a bunch of domains served by my ISP. I changed the hosting
location for them. I want to confirm that these domains are pointing
to my host, where I have a page that just says "For any questions
about this domain, please contact ray at ganymede.org." If the domain is
being served by my ISP, it says things like "Drop 25 Pounds in 30
days" and "Hotwire Hotels". I do not want this.

So I put this in my objects/localhost.cfg:

define host{
         use                     linux-server
         host_name               www.domain1.com
         address                 www. domain1.com
         }

define service{
         use                             local-service
         host_name                       www. domain1.com
         service_description             HTTP
         check_command                   check_http!-s "For any
questions about this domain"
         notifications_enabled           0
         }

I have two domains that demonstrate the problem. The "www.domain1.com"
is being served correctly and "www.domain2.com" is not. In the
"status.cgi?host=all" page, I see:

HTTP
www.domain1.com
	OK 	07-17-2009 16:31:30 	6d 21h 33m 55s 	1/4 	HTTP OK HTTP/1.1 200 OK
- 491 bytes in 0.788 seconds

HTTP
www.domain2.com
	OK 	07-17-2009 16:31:09 	2d 17h 14m 16s 	1/4 	HTTP OK - HTTP/1.1 302
Moved Temporarily - 0.416 second response time

Why is this not recognizing that "www.domain2.com" is not returning
the string I want it to return? Even if the domain is being
redirected, it is being redirected wrong. At no point is that URL
returning the string I want it to see. So, "www.domain2.com" should be
red. But it is green.

Any suggestions on how to make this work?

thanx - ray