SNMP Monitoring conundrum

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Fri Jul 17 18:08:49 CEST 2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Max wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Israel
> Brewster<israel at frontierflying.com> wrote:
>> Anyone else run into a similar situation? What does everyone else
>> think the
>> best approach here is? Thanks.
>
> We do a lot of SNMP monitoring for a number of various agents -
> Net-SNMP, Cisco, Sysedge.  I have found it to be much easier to
> maintain and release the scripts by doing one agent type per script.
> This lets you create a 'bundle' of scripts for an agent type.
>
> E.g.
>
> net-snmp/check_net_snmp_cpu.pl
> net-snmp/check_net_snmp_disk.pl
> net-snmp/check_net_snmp_la.pl
> net-snmp/check_net_snmp_mem.pl
> net-snmp/check_net_snmp_procs.pl
> net-snmp/check_net_snmp_swap.pl
>
> sysedge/check_sysedge_cpu.pl
> sysedge/check_sysedge_la.pl
> sysedge/check_sysedge_mem.pl
> sysedge/check_sysedge_swap.pl
> sysedge/check_sysedge_unix_storage.pl
>
> This then helps us also keep our configurations consistent as we do
> the service definitions and comand definitions in files by type ..
>
> ommands/net-snmp.cfg
> commands/sysedge.cfg
>
> services/net-snmp.cfg
> services/sysedge.cfg
>
> As you know, code bases get pretty big pretty quickly with SNMP, so
> having one agent type per script also decreases the chances of bugs
> and makes it easier to fix bugs when they arise.
>
> So my personal recommendation is to keep the scripts to 1 agent type
> per script.

So if I understand you correctly, after you make 1 agent type per
script, you would then write a wrapper script calling multiple
individual scripts for the cases where you want more than one piece of
data? The approach certainly bears consideration, especially since, as
you say, the simpler scripts make debugging easier. I hadn't
originally thought of that approach because I wanted two pieces of
data displayed in nagios: power state and estimated run time, so I
just made one script that gave that data. It might be worth breaking
it down more though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician II
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd