SNMP Monitoring conundrum

Mark Gius mgius at createspace.com
Fri Jul 17 00:06:29 CEST 2009

I would suggest you use custom object variables
(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/customobjectvars.html).  This is
a nagios 3 feature, so if you're on 2.0 you'll need to upgrade.

Basically, you can define custom variables into
hosts/services/whatever.  So you'd have a custom object var in the host
define host {
    name   UPS-thing
    _OIDS <List of OIDs Here> <-- This being the custom variable that
you define.
}

and in your service you'll have

define service {
     name    snmp-check
     check_command check_snmp!$_HOSTOIDS$  <-- Use it like so
}

-Gius