Dynamically generated service checks

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Jul 16 17:43:07 CEST 2009

Marc Powell wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2009, at 11:13 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>
>> IMO, the ideal solution here would be if I could just submit passive
>> check results for services that aren't explicitly configured in
>> Nagios.
>>  But alas, that's not allowed and it fails with messages like
>> "Warning:
>>  Passive check result was received for service 'foo' on host
>> 'mysql-dev', but the service could not be found!"
>
> That's correct but this would be a lot like submitting SNMP traps to
> nagios. You might glance over that documentation to get ideas. You
> could create a generic service, set it as passive and volatile and
> then just start submitting passive results to it with descriptive/
> useful output. Each non-ok result would generate an alert so you
> wouldn't miss anything but if you don't build in some protections, you
> could repeat notify about the same problem.
>
> --
> Marc

Hmmm ...

Sounds like it might be what we'd want.  I'm a bit unclear about how
this would work in practice though.

What I'd want is that when I go check the Nagios "Service Problems" page
in the GUI, I'd want to see multiple lines for the service - one line
for each of the tags/files that we're having problems with.

But if this is configured as just a single (passive, volatile) service,
then wouldn't the GUI show only one line for the service, containing
details for only the most recent tag/file that failed the check?

Thanks,

DR