strange results from v2.11 vs. 3.0.6 for check_snmp

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jul 15 22:37:45 CEST 2009

On Jul 15, 2009, at 2:22 PM, Natalie Aloi wrote:

> Hello, I have two versions of nagios running v 2.11 on server nagios
> and 3.0.6 on dns
> when I execute the commands manually from the servers this is my
> output can anyone help me understand why when I run the identical
> commands on v2.11 I get output from both switches but when I run it
> on the dns server only one host responds?
>
> ver 3.0.6 host output below:
> [root at dns libexec]# ./check_snmp -C public -H 10.1.100.2 -o
> ifOperStatus.1 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB
> SNMP OK - up(1) |
> [root at dns libexec]# ./check_snmp -C public -H 10.1.100.3 -o
> ifOperStatus.1 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB
> SNMP problem - No data received from host
> CMD: /usr/bin/snmpget -t 1 -r 5 -m RFC1213-MIB -v 1 [authpriv]
> 10.1.100.3:161  ifOperStatus.1
> [root at dns libexec]#
>

> ver 2.11 output below:
> [root at nagios plugins]# ./check_snmp -C public -H 10.1.100.3 -o
> ifOperStatus.1 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB
> SNMP OK - up(1) |
> [root at nagios plugins]# ./check_snmp -C public -H 10.1.100.2 -o
> ifOperStatus.1 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB
> SNMP OK - up(1) |
> [root at nagios plugins]#

I presume that you are testing from two different boxes. As you can
see from the error output, check_snmp is just a wrapper to /usr/bin/
snmpget, which cannot talk to the host 10.1.100.3.  This puts the
problem outside of nagios and the plugins. Do you have access
restrictions on the 10.1.110.3 machine blocking the connection from
the 'dns' host (or somewhere between them)?

--
Marc