Redundant Monitoring notifications not enabling

Martinez, Eduardo [BSD] - ADM emartine at bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 15 18:59:48 CEST 2009

I have a setup where the Master and Slave servers follow the redundancy
scenario 1 of this document:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/redundancy.html

Both Servers are running Nagios 3.0.6

The one issue I am running into is that when the Nagios service on the
master host goes down, the slave host does not enable its notifications.

I looked at the paths in each script to ensure it was pointing to the
correct location. (commands.cfg, handle-master-proc-event,
enable_notifications, and disable_notifications) They all look ok.  As a
test I stopped the Nagios service on the master host and looked at the
logs on the slave. I receive the following from the slave host log file

[1247675796] SERVICE ALERT:
masterhost;check_nagios;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;NAGIOS CRITICAL: Cannot open
status log for reading!

[1247675796] SERVICE EVENT HANDLER:
masterhost;check_nagios;(null);(null);(null);master-process-event

[1247675856] SERVICE ALERT:
masterhost;check_nagios;CRITICAL;SOFT;2;NAGIOS CRITICAL: Cannot open
status log for reading!

[1247675856] SERVICE EVENT HANDLER:
masterhost;check_nagios;(null);(null);(null);master-process-event

[1247675916] SERVICE ALERT:
masterhost;check_nagios;CRITICAL;SOFT;3;NAGIOS CRITICAL: Cannot open
status log for reading!

[1247675916] SERVICE EVENT HANDLER:
masterhost;check_nagios;(null);(null);(null);master-process-event

[1247675976] SERVICE ALERT:
masterhost;check_nagios;CRITICAL;SOFT;4;NAGIOS CRITICAL: Cannot open
status log for reading!

[1247675976] SERVICE EVENT HANDLER:
masterhost;check_nagios;(null);(null);(null);master-process-event

[1247676036] SERVICE ALERT:
masterhost;check_nagios;CRITICAL;HARD;5;NAGIOS CRITICAL: Cannot open
status log for reading!

[1247676036] SERVICE EVENT HANDLER:
masterhost;check_nagios;(null);(null);(null);master-process-event

But notifications aren't enabled even after it hits hard.  If I run the
enable_notification and disable_notifications scripts manually they
work. I'm trying to figure out where in the chain is wrong.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem? I'm so very close
to getting this setup.

-Eduardo