Dynamically generated service checks

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jul 15 17:47:11 CEST 2009

On Jul 15, 2009, at 10:19 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

> Matthew Jurgens wrote:

> 2) If I understand correctly, Nagios loads its config files at startup
> time and does not re-read them after that.  So if I'm regenerating a
> config file, then that means I'd need to restart the Nagios service
> afterwards, which is a bit of an onerous imposition.

Using the init script, restart stops and starts the daemon, reload
sends a HUP signal to the running process to tell it to re-read it's
config files. The init script verifies config before doing either. You
could manually HUP the running process if you're sure the config files
are syntactically correct.

>  And although
> again, I could in theory do this in a cron job, I'm not sure I'm
> comfortable with that.  There's the potential for the Nagios service
> not start up again successfully, and I don't like taking the risk that
> this dynamic update procedure could potentially bring down the entire
> Nagios system.

I've been doing this exact thing (nagios reload) hourly for several
years quite successfully. If you wanted to be paranoid about it, you
could script a run of '/path/to/nagios -v /path/to/nagios.cfg' and
only reload if that exits 0 else send yourself an e-mail with the bad
output.

--
Marc