nagios & mail

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jul 15 16:24:32 CEST 2009

On Jul 15, 2009, at 7:57 AM, Natalie Aloi wrote:

> can anyone help me with this information? I really don't know
> anything about sendmail or mail in linux..do I need to set that up
> in order for nagios to be able to generate mail messages from nagios?

Yes, or something that does the same thing. You may just need to start
the sendmail service. Most modern distributions have it installed by
default and ready to listen for requests from localhost; you may have
just turned it off. In every case though, if you're going to be
sending e-mails to a server that is off your network (like
networksolutionsemail.com), you need to ensure that your nagios server
follows expected standards for sending e-mail -
	- has a valid reverse DNS entry for it's public IP (1.2.3.4 ->
nagios.your.domain)
	- that name you give it resolves back to that same IP
(nagios.your.domain -> 1.2.3.4)

Nagios itself doesn't send e-mails and depends on an external program
like sendmail to do so. If you don't want to configure sendmail, there
are a couple alternatives listed in this FAQ --

http://support.nagios.com/knowledge-base/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&catid=35&faq_id=150

--
Marc