check_snmp

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jul 15 06:45:23 CEST 2009

You received an answer earlier today that you seem to have ignored...
I'll try --

On Jul 14, 2009, at 3:45 PM, SYS ADMIN wrote:

> It seems that for some reason my new install of nagios 3.0.6 into
> Debian
> lenny has failed to install check_snmp into the
> /usr/local/nagios/etc/libexec folder.

No install of the nagios source/package includes any plugins. How did
you install the nagios-plugins? Source or package? If by package, does
that package include the plugin? Which package did you install and who
maintains that package? Do you have all the required and optional
dependencies for that package installed?

> It has a multitude of other check_snmp_<blah blah>, which I am sure
> are
> all based on it,

They aren't. They are almost certainly the perl based contrib plugins
that rely on perl-net-snmp. They are not related to check_snmp in any
way, other than being able to speak SNMP, and using a different way of
doing so.

> but IT is not there, and several of my plugins call for
> check_snmp.
>
> How can I get it there?

Depends on how you installed the plugins. If you installed from
source, read the output of ./configure or the REQUIREMENTS file.
check_snmp depends on  other software before it will be compiled --

REQUIREMENTS -
"check_snmp:
         - Requires the NET-SNMP package available from
           http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/"

Note that this is *not* perl-net-snmp. Similar names but completely
different software. As your previous respondent noted, this is
probably Debian's 'snmp' package.

--
Marc