Changing the layout of the status map

Matthew Jurgens nagiosusers at edcint.co.nz
Wed Jul 15 03:47:37 CEST 2009

I can't answer your question directly but I know what you are trying to
achieve (with regards to the large public display).
Instead of showing the status map we developed an application that reads
the nagios status.dat file and builds a high level status view of the
monitored environment.
In doing this we get to display the status of business
processes/applications instead of just host status (we could show that
if we wanted to configure it like that), which is often much more
meaningful (and simple) for non-IT staff.

For example the email system might be made up of an external SMTP
server, an internal mail/database server, a SPAM filter server, an
anti-virus scanner etc. We might combine these hosts and all or some of
their services and then rollup the individual statuses to a single
overall status.

Take a look at the following documentation page:
http://www.smartmon.com.au/docs/tiki-index.php?page=High+Level+Status&highlight=high%20level%20status

Take a look at the nagios status.dat file and write your own application
to present the information you need.
Another alternative might be to take a look at Nagvis.

Smartmon System Monitoring <http://www.smartmon.com.au>
www.smartmon.com.au