Host Checks & Service Checks

Guy Waugh guidosh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 19:45:36 CEST 2009

Hi Natalie,

You might need a 'check_command' for each of your hosts... like this:

   check_command  check-host-alive

The 'check-host-alive' check command would have to be defined, probably in
your commands.cfg file. The default nagios configuration defines this
command (I think).

This is where it's handy to use templates -- in this case, a host template.
You would define stuff common to every host in your host template (which you
might call 'generic-host'), and have a 'use generic-host' line in each of
your host definitions. That way, you wouldn't have to redefine the same
stuff over and over again for each of your hosts.

It might be worth spending an hour or two reading the official nagios
documentation at this point -- it could save you lots of time. The official
doc table of contents is at:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/toc.html

Cheers,
Guy.