Active host check scheduling in a distributed environment

Paul Corcoran paul.corcoran.mlist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 16:46:24 CEST 2009

HI,

I run a distributed Nagios environment consisting of 1 parent server and 2
child servers.

The child servers perform all the service checking while the parent server
should be performing active service checks.

The host definitions are configured to perform host checks every 5 minutes.
The retry interval is 1 minute and the max attempts is set to 5.

We are monitoring 580 hosts and approx 4000 services.

I noticed when a host down was detected the parent server did not perform
any retries of the host. This led to the status of the host being stuck in a
SOFT state and therefore no alerts were sent out as required. I noticed that
the child server performed the host checks without any problem and the host
was logged as being in a HARD down state after 5 failed attempts.

Is there a specific variable in nagios.cfg that explicitly tells the server
to perform active checks?

Is it best practice to have the 2 child servers perform passive host checks?
Is it possible that processing all the passive service check info is causing
the parent server to lag behind in it's own process queue?

Thanks for you help.

Paul