Monitoring disk usage

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jul 14 15:57:32 CEST 2009

On Jul 14, 2009, at 3:58 AM, Juki wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed nrpe v2.11 on a monitored host running Solaris 10.
> An excerpt from nrpe.cfg on the monitored host is as follows;
>
> command[check_disk]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 30% -c
> 15% -p /
> command[check_disk]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 30% -c
> 20% -p /var/opt/BGw/Server1 -p /var/opt/mediation/ora

You cannot have two definitions with the same [name], they must be
unique.

> My intention is to monitor disk usage on the partitions /var/opt/BGw/
> Server1 and /var/opt/mediation/ora. This is not working yet. When I
> log into the Nagios web interface on the monitoring server, I do not
> see any details (alerts and warnings) to do with the above mentioned
> partitions.

When reporting problems, please report what you _do_ see. It's often
much more useful than what you _don't_ see. "I went to drive to work
this morning but didn't see my car" isn't very informative but
"Instead, I saw a giant ball of fire in the shape of a car" is much
more helpful. Also include the full, complete host{} and service{}
definitions for the problem service. You can get them from
objects.cache if you don't want to expand templates you may be using
yourself.

> If I run on the monitored host, I get some info;
>
> bash-3.00# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 30% -c 20% -p /
> var/opt/BGw/Server1 -p /var/opt/mediation/ora
> DISK OK - free space: /var/opt/BGw/Server1 16937 MB (31%
> inode=94%); /var/opt/mediation/ora 9738 MB (64% inode=99%);| /var/
> opt/BGw/Server1=36502MB;37990;43417;0;54272 /var/opt/mediation/
> ora=5323MB;10997;12568;0;15711

a) Never test plugins as root. Nagios doesn't run them as 'root' and
you're likely to see permissions differences that send you down the
completely wrong troubleshooting path.
b) When testing something like this, verify you can run your
check_nrpe command definition successfully for this check, from the
nagios machine, as the nagios user.

--
Marc