Nagios plugin for monitoring files in a directory?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Jul 13 16:28:25 CEST 2009

Israel Brewster wrote:
> How about using check_file_age on the directory itself? I think the
> timestamp of the directory is updated whenever a new file is added. Or
> are there other processes going in in the directory, such as deletions
> or modifications, that might make this value unreliable?

Thanks much for the suggestion.

Hmmm ... in theory that'd work.  Something about it makes me
uncomfortable though.  Just feels like monitoring a specific count of
files will wind up being more precise and correct than the directory mod
time.

Anyway, I've been taking a look at the "check_file" plugin on Monitoring
Exchange, and it looks like that might fit the bill.

Thanks,

DR