Bug or by design? services inheriting contacts from host

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sat Jul 11 02:19:12 CEST 2009

On Jul 10, 2009, at 4:10 PM, Matt Nelson wrote:

> Service:
>
> define service{
>     use                     noncritical-service
>     host_name               myHost
>     service_description     myMonitor
>     check_command           bla bla bla
>     contact_groups          +myGroup2
> }
>

> Host:
>
> define host {
>                  use                     default
>                  host_name               myHost
>                  alias                   myHost
>                  address                 myHost.domain
>          contact_groups      myGroup1
>                 }
>

> The problem that I am seeing is that since we have a
> "contact_groups" defined in the service it is not taking the
> myGroup1 from the host and adding the myGroup2 to that.  So the
> result is that I am getting notifications send to myGroup2, but not
> myGroup1 AND myGroup2 and I am expecting.

My reading of the documentation is that the host->service inheritance
you are expecting only works if contact_groups isn't specified in the
service. Once you define it, in any way, the implied inheritance is no
longer valid.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectinheritance.html ->
Implied Inheritance

--