Regarding hosts with multiple hostgroup.

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Fri Jul 10 02:09:32 CEST 2009

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009, Gaurav Ghimire wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am off to write up a script for notification of Host status. Doing so to integrate more information in the notification email such as latest
> Syslog messages from the network device, the uptime and bla bla. Here I am in a need to have some checks made on the basis of Hostgroups. But
> what came up as a problem is a host that is in multiple host group. For the check i used $HOSTGROUPNAME$ but it if a host is in two hostgroups.
> nagios docs state that it could be any one of them. Then the thing $HOSTGROUPALIAS$ struck me. Is it the same as the other. Or are there any
> other medium where I can make nagios provide me with the exact $HOSTGROUPNAME$ i want in the macro itself.
>
> Say I have two hostgroups A and B and the host C is in both the host groups. And I only want the $HOSTGROUPNAME$ macro give me A is there any
> way? or any other references? I would be grateful for any directions or helps.

I may be misunderstanding, but if you have a host in multiple
hostgroups, but you only want your notification to list one of them, you
know what that one hostgroup is, right?  If that's the case, don't use
the macro.

There's no way for Nagios to know which of the multiple hostgroups is
the one you want, and there's no need for a macro at all if you know
which hostgroup you want listed.

If you're using Nagios 3, custom variables may also be an option.