permissions for check_dhcp

Christian Schneemann cschneemann at suse.de
Thu Jul 9 22:24:48 CEST 2009

On Thursday 09 July 2009 22:02:43 Natalie Aloi wrote:
> Hello again
>
> I am modifying my new 3.0.6 configuration so that I can have all the stuff
> I had before but when I do my configuration verification I am getting an
> error on check_dhcp - see it has this information below: Can I chown this
> to nagios:nagios and then chmod 550?
>
> -r-sr-x--- 1 root nagios 77549 2009-07-09 10:13 check_dhcp
> -r-sr-x--- 1 root nagios 82964 2009-07-09 10:13 check_icmp
check_dhcp needs rood permission to connect to the interface, therefore it is
owned by root and the suid bit is set, so that it is executed with root's
privilege.

If you change the permission to nagios:nagios check_dhcp will not work
anymore. You could call this check with sudo instead.

	Christian

--
Christian Schneemann
SUSE Linux Products GmbH

Phone:	+49 (0)911 - 740 53 0
e-mail:	cschneemann at suse.de
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex
HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)