hostgroups causing hairloss

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Jul 8 20:18:36 CEST 2009

David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> DAve wrote:
>> Everything looks fine, but when I start Nagios and look at View
>> Config->Object Type->Host Groups, I see this!
>>
>> Group Name	Description	        Host Members
>> CACHE_DNS	Caching DNS service 	CDC-Dnscache , CDC-Ns1 , CDC-Ns1auth ,
>> IDC-Ns2 , IDC-Ns2auth , SDC-Ns3 , SDC-Ns3auth
>>
>> The CACHE_DNS host group should only contain CDC-Ns1, IDC-Ns2, and
>> SDC-Ns3.
>
> Probably not a coincidence that CDC-Ns1auth starts with CDC-Ns1.  Sounds
> like it's using CDC-Ns1 as a prefix to match hostnames, rather than as
> an actual hostname.
>
> Looks like there's config setting in 3.0 called use_regexp_matching
> which might control that.  Perhaps in your old config file that was
> somehow turned on.  (Or perhaps not defined at all, and on is the default.)
>
> Who knows what other old settings you're inheriting too.  It's probably
> best for you to scrap your old config, and start fresh with a new 3.0
> config file, then adopt it to your needs (i.e., point it to whatever
> custom definitions/definition-files you've created).

As I did, this is an all new install, everything is being re-done after
a complete host and service audit of our network. There are no old
configs in use.

Matching, hmmmm, that sticks in my mind somewhere. Time to go read the
docs yet again for what I may have missed.

DAve

--
"Posterity, you will know how much it cost the present generation to
preserve your freedom.  I hope you will make good use of it.  If you

http://appleseedinfo.org