basic nagios/linux info needed

Guy Waugh guidosh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 20:05:59 CEST 2009

Hi Natalie,

I don't know the answer to Question 1... might be worth googling for.

In answer to Question 2, yum is, to quote from the first result of my google
search for 'man yum', "an interactive, automated update program which can be
used for maintaining systems using rpm". Basically, yum is a system that
allows an administrator to download and install pre-built software packages
from a repository. So, yes, it has installed nagios for you, so you don't
have to compile binaries etc. However, it is nagios 2 rather than nagios 3.

Cheers,
Guy.